Monday 23 June 2014

More wandering in Vienna

Today was my last of three full days in Vienna. Having already done the two things I wanted to see, I decided to just cruise around the city, taking whatever photos I could, mainly basing myself around the Hofburg.

My Vienna Flickr set is now complete and available at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/81692166@N05/sets/72157645485796815/

My first stop was at a local guest house called the Pöschl, to try another of Vienna's specialties: the Wienerschnitzel. It's basically battered veal, but with a local seasoning. Having done it once, I'd say I probably don't need to eat it again. The dish's traditional sidekick was a quite nice stodgy potato salad:

 Wienerschnitzel and Erdapfelsalat

Someone once described Vienna to me as a city stuck in the 80s. I can certainly see how - smoking is still standard practice, not only in numbers outside but also inside many popular restaurants.

I'd also heard very good things about Zanoni & Zanoni, a local gelateria. Their range of flavours was enormous, and it was quite cheap too:

Zanoni's range of flavours, in enormous buckets

Munching my gelato (which was absolutely delicious), I headed towards the grounds of the Hofburg. The Hofburg originally started as one building, before repeatedly expanding. It now includes a massive variety of buildings and gardens. There is the occasional map of the area, but you are mostly left to your own direction:


 My Hofburg favourites

Some of the other querky things I saw in Vienna today included 'No Kangaroos in Austria' t-shirts, an automated petrol station in the middle of the old town, and underground toilets. Oh, and the enormous museums are weird. The first photo is of a Papyrus Museum. Seriously. Only in Vienna:

 
 
 
Only in Vienna

The Hofburg took me through until basically the end of the day, and the end of my time in Vienna. My next update will be a trip report of my overnight sleeper train to Venice.

No comments:

Post a Comment