Thursday 12 June 2014

Hong Kong Airport

With a 7-and-a-half hour layover in Hong Kong, there was nearly enough time to make a quick 2- or 3-hour trip to the mainland. I nearly did, but then decided that staying at the airport would be better. I would be able to charge all my 'devices' and have a perve at all the planes on offer.

Hong Kong had beaucoup de A380s - along with my ride to Paris on Air France, there were also A380s belonging to British Airways, Emirates and Singapore Airlines. I also snuck a glimpse of a Dreamliner of Air India:

Beaucoup de A380s

Some of the more exotic birds hidden away behind the aerobridges included an A340s of both Air Madagascar and Air Mauritius. Here in Asia, you can't even escape Tigerair (or Tiger Airways as it is still known here):

Inescapable, even on another continent

After I checked out most of the gates, I walked to the Air France service desk, where I was told that my flight would depart from Gate 60. Having scouted out the gate, I located a pair of charging stations with UK plugs. Good thing I've got one. There are charging stations at every gate, and they're quite popular.

After an hour or so, a man and his father rocked up speaking Italian. After he asked me about the charging station, I realised the man was Australian. Turns out that not only is he from Mount Gravatt (about 10 minutes down the road from my house), his best friend's son (Reece Harrison) is an umpire for AFL Brisbane Juniors. What a small world!

At about 10pm, with three hours left before the flight, I made the rounds looking for a place to eat. It seemed like all the eateries at the airport were either closed, closing, or had inflated prices. There was a McDonalds, but I wasn't going to do that to myself so early in the trip.

There was a lot of advertising around the airport. I laughed myself silly at this one though. It's an ad for our NBN. There are no words to describe it:

NBN ad - really?

It's now time to board. The remaining two hours have passed relatively quickly, and I'm in no hurry to join the queue to get on a plane that seats 500 people. Good luck with that guys. I'll catch you all in Paris!

No comments:

Post a Comment