Sunday 29 June 2014

Foro Romano

Today's job was to visit the Roman Forum. I was planning on a short visit, not realising how darn big it actually was.

Day two of Rome is now also up on Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/81692166@N05/sets/72157645523086253/

Breakfast was the same again today. The lady that runs the B&B has a basket of self-service breakfast, with jams, bread, croissants, and biscuits. And there's milk, juice and yoghurt in the fridge. Plenty of food for everyone!

After arriving at the Roman Forum and paying for a two-day ticket, which also includes a visit to the Colosseum, I found that I had just over two hours there. It ended up being not nearly enough. The place was absolutely enormous. I managed to cover most of what was there, without seeing every little tidbit. The amount of stuff there was incredible, from stuff that has only fairly recently been discovered to stuff that is from earlier than 700 BC.

The forum's place is mainly as where the old 'kaisers' lived. They still have some of the parts of their houses way out the back. The forum also has several hills from which you can look out over the various parts of Old Rome:

 My favourites from the Roman Forum

I knew the forum closed at around 7:15, but as soon as it hit 7 o'clock we started getting ushered out. I thought this was one area the forum could improve on - the security people were very snappy and curt. Not only that, but we were directed to the nearest exit, which was not really the one I wanted to go out of. Added a bit of walking to my trip. Which, by the way, now totals about 200km in two weeks.

I headed back to the B&B and got the same pizza and gelato today - got a bit more pizza because I hadn't had lunch. Tomorrow will be a visit to the Colosseum! And maybe I'll get a chance to go the square in Vatican City. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment