Sunday 22 June 2014

An inner-city theme park

Today I decided to ease off on running around madly, and instead have smaller days, seeing a little of what the city has to offer. The Handelskai walk along the Danube River and the Prater were my two targets for today.

I've added my second day's photos to my Vienna set on Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/81692166@N05/sets/72157645485796815/

But first off, I decided to well and truly trash my diet while I was in Vienna. I went to a small coffeeshop near the city park and had a slice of Sachertorte, which is a famous local chocolate cake with apricot jam and Schlagobers, what the Austrians call cream (which is different in Austrian-German than German-German). It was quite moist compared to the reviews I'd read about the 'original Sachertorte' on TripAdvisor, which complained that it was quite dry, and it was less than half the price. I had an evil brownie-flavoured milkshake with it:

My diet-busting afternoon tea

I then got an S-Bahn to the far end of the Prater area, where there is a lovely stretch of the River Danube that all the locals go for a walk/ride/jog on. It's an amazing section of river, split completely into a west bank walk, an east bank walk, and is even split in two by an island, where there is another walkway. I stayed on the west bank the whole way:

 The view of Handelskai

I then headed to the Prater. It was pretty much exactly what I expected it to be: a place for kids to enjoy overpriced, tiny rides while adults sit around and consume overpriced food. We're talking €5 for a small ride on go karts. There's some bigger rides for adults as well:

 The Prater

I also managed to eat a whole Lángos, which is a Hungarian dish mainly sold in the Prater. It's basically double-deep-fried bread coated in salt. The photo I took of it on the table doesn't do its enormous size justice, here's a photo of me about 2/3 of the way through it:

An enormous Lángos

The Ferris Wheel at the Prater is also something of a national icon. I took a fair few photos if it, and it was nice that I had a clear blue sky in the background to do it with:

The Ferris Wheel at the Prater

That was basically all I got done today. After I got back to the apartment, I headed out to an Indian place I found nearby that sold mango chicken curry, which is a favourite of mine back home. It was a little spicy for me, but still quite nice:

Spicy mango chicken curry

No comments:

Post a Comment