Wednesday 25 June 2014

Day 2 - yet more canals

A lot of interesting stuff happened today, on my second day in Venice. It was much the same again, just wandering around the canals and looking for pretty pictures.

I've added quite a few more Venice photos to my Flickr set:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/81692166@N05/sets/72157645471497911/

Today I started off walking in the general direction of Piazza San Marco, the big famous square in Venice that is permanently full of tourists - and pigeons. Lots of pigeons. This little yappy dog got let off his leash and was chasing the pigeons with glorious fun:

This dog was happy

For lunch I went to this famous place called Alfredo's. It does takeaway pasta, and it's very good. For those of us that are going to Venice this trip, you have to try it at least once. It's not a well-kept secret, and it can get pretty busy until it closes at 8:30. Today I got a pesto sauce:

Alfredo's pasta

After that, I went for another walk before going to a famed ice cream joint, La Mela Verde (literally The Green Apple). This was also delicious - the Straciatella was chocolate chunks, not chocolate chips:

Gelati from La Mela Verde

While I was eating my gelati, I came across the American family from the overnight train from Vienna. It shows you how small a place Venice is, especially since they were only there for a day and a half:

The Americans from the train

After some more wandering, I got to Rialto Bridge just in time for sunset. I managed to get one of the 'hero shots' that everyone gets while they're in Venice:

Venice's typical photo

On the walk home, the tide was rising, and the restaurant on the banks of the river was getting underwater. There were kids piggybacking across the water, and the waiters were wearing gumboots. Would you like a snorkel with that spaghetti sir?:

 The rising tide

That took me through the rest of the night. Until tomorrow everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment