Thursday 26 June 2014

Canals!

Yes, Venice has more canals than you could poke a stick at. There's not a lot of water-free photos, but some.

My Flickr set for Venice is now complete:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/81692166@N05/sets/72157645471497911/

There hasn't been many fantastic photos in Venice, so far, just mostly solid ones. I did the same today as I did yesterday more or less, just wandering the canals, except I extended my reach a bit further.

In the morning, I headed up to the northwestern corner of the island, which is a lot less touristy as it's more a place where people live. I also walked through the Ghetto, which is a Jewish area of Venice that was the first, original ghetto, where the word gets its name from.

I then made another trip to Alfredo's, this time for a pork pasta for lunch, and walked down almost to the southeastern corner. There's a remarkable green park next to the seafront, with lots of tall trees.


My favourites for today

I'd previously learnt some Italian at QUT's free language classes, and found out that Marty, the Venetian girl who was teaching, was going to be in Venice at the same time as me! We had planned on going for a bit of a walk, but unforunately she was busy, so instead we went to this happy-hour place just past Rialto Bridge, where I tried Gingerino, which is what non-alcohol drinkers in Venice drink, to make it look like they do drink alcohol. It was great to catch up with Marty, I may even go back to Italian class next semester to improve my Italian further:

Met with Marty today

I also, on recommendation from my host, tried a Gianduiotto, which is a typical Venetian ice cream from this place on the Zattere called Gelateria Nico. It wasn't amazing, but it was good to have said I've had one. It's basically a hazelnut and chocolate ice cream block shoved in a massive mountain of cream. I could feel my stomach expanding:

An evil Gianduiotto

I'll be adding another trip report soon for my train trip from Venice to Rome. Until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment